The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Gardening and Landscaping

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/39cut-and-paint39-works-but-the-more-34784111.aspx

Subject:  Re: Killing Various Vines - keeping trees safe Date:  3/18/2021  4:52 PM
Author:  conifer Number:  32448 of 32580

'Cut and paint' works, but the more stem/trunk surface area to paint the better. So large diameter stems or trunks of 5" or more are good. Cut near ground level and paint several times a few minutes apart, again the more treatment the better. It soaks in quickly, reapply. Any brush-killing type herbicide should work, including RoundUp. I'm currently involved with a 4-acre forest restoration project, with 100-year old wisteria choking everything in site. 4 years in, it's starting to take shape. As the wisteria and other vines have retreated, 350 trees have been planted so far. If you post a picture of vine(s), I can tell you what they are if you live in the eastern half of US. I'm a professional horticulturist, retired.

And yes, never plant running bamboo. Clumping types are ok, but they are much more winter tender than running types. Fargesia is the most common genus of clumping bamboo...there aren't many. There are many genera of running types.

conifer
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us