The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/how-did-you-decide-it-was-time-34788235.aspx

Subject:  How did you decide it was time? Date:  3/24/2021  4:07 AM
Author:  MissEdithKeeler Number:  138213 of 138911

To retire, that is?

I know a lot of it is “pandemic fatigue” but I feel like I’m getting closer and closer to calling it quits.

I’d really hoped to hold out 2 more years, but I’m starting to feel like I won’t make it. I’m feeling increasingly disengaged from my work, there have been changes to my company that I’ve lost patience with, and the structure of my job has changed a lot. (I’m super bored but also irritated all the time....). Also a clear preference by my company for younger people lately.

I’m not quite where I want to be with my stash, but it’s do-able with some juggling, and I’d probably try to find a “bridge job” for a while. On the one hand, it would be really hard to walk away from my salary and benefits, but on the other hand.... I just feel done. (I’ve actually felt this way for a long while, but definitely more pronounced these days....) I’m going to wait for sure until this pandemic stuff is more resolved before I do anything rash.

But curious about how you decided it was finally time. Layoff with a sweet package? Just got to a certain dollar amount and walked away? Realized you hated going to work and figured out how to do it? I know parts of some of your stories, but do tell.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us