The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/babysitting-grandchildren-34808982.aspx

Subject:  babysitting grandchildren Date:  4/16/2021  6:17 PM
Author:  YewGuise Number:  138265 of 138944

Well, I'm in for it now! I've been retired for a little over 10 years. Did a bunch of eldercare, but still, except for a couple of years in there, had more free time than not.

Now my first grandchild has arrived, and when DS & DDIL return to work in June, I'll be providing day care. In fact, DH & I moved close to them last summer specifically so we'd be positioned to do that. So I'm very happy, but, it's just now dawning on me that I'll once again have a full-time commitment. M-F, 8-6, or thereabouts, after years of not setting an alarm clock. DH will be my back-up, for when I have a dentist appointment or something.

So, it'll be an adjustment. I'm confident I can rise to the occasion, I just don't know for how long, especially if/when a 2nd or 3rd baby arrives. DH might have to be more than just back-up. :)
It'll be easier than when my own children were little, because I'll sleep at night, which makes all the difference. Still, I'm 66, and doing the math, it doesn't look like I'll be giving driving lessons or chaperoning prom.

Wish me luck! Any and all advice is also welcome! I know some of you have experience in this area.

Thanks,
YG
soon to be un-retired
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us