The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/my-asset-allocation-is-way-more-cashbond-heavy-34809324.aspx

Subject:  Re: How Vanguard Account Holders Invest Date:  4/17/2021  11:49 AM
Author:  CuriousQ Number:  102437 of 103313

My asset allocation is way more cash/bond heavy than most 61 year olds. Planning to retire at 61, I actually pulled the trigger a year early, and had prepared for "sequence of returns risk" by increasing cash/bonds to reduce volatility between 60/61 ER and the start of Social Security at age 67 (or later).

That "bond tent" idea came from this board in fact. It's a trade-off between increased average/expected returns and reduced volatility for my own sample size of one.

If I were planning to work until 67, I might be more willing to go stock-heavy. However, I'm glad I was positioned to be able to retire at 60 and take a severance package because the next round of layoffs may not offer as much severance (or any). Planning to work for X years isn't the same as being able to work for that time at the expected salary (due to layoffs) or at all (due to health or disability).
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us