The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Education / Investing Beginners

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/question-about-gamestop-and-dfv39s-calls-34809953.aspx

Subject:  Question about GameStop and DFV's Calls Date:  4/18/2021  4:29 PM
Author:  seanosu02 Number:  30013 of 30160

All: I am new to options trading and trying to wrap my head around a question I hope to articulate related to GameStop and the now famous Deep*******Value. DFV had, I believe, 500 Call options that were set to expire Friday. He had bought the Options last October I believe when the stock was $8 per share and he set a $12 strike price. As off Friday, GME closed at $156. Obviously, his Call options would have tremendously in the money. It is my understanding that DFV executed his right to buy the shares at the $12 strike price.

So, he would have purchased 50,000 shares at $12 per share for a total of $600,000, if my math is correct. Here is where I am stumped. The value of his Calls,deeply in the money, would have grown so tremendously that even after executing those calls at $12 a share, he would have still had money left over after purchasing the shares... Would he have pocketed that left over money? Or am I not thinking this through the right way?

Any help to walk me through the math would go a long way toward helping me learn.

Thanks!
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us