The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Bull Call Spread Long Term Short Term dispar Date:  4/22/2021  9:51 PM
Author:  jmacosta Number:  132550 of 132868

Thanks Bill,

Your reply was much clearer than mine. Lets see if my old brain finally understood.
If you have LT gains and ST losses or viceversa, you net them first before calculating any tax. I had thought before that the LT and ST rates were applied before calculating net capital gain. So it is clear now, you may only pay taxes on the net.
So... First calculate the net capital gain to establish the bracket and rates.
If the net is a loss, no worries, use up to 3000 and carryover the rest.
If ST gains > LT losses, then the net is all ST. Add to regular income.
If ST losses < LT gains, then the net is all LT. Use reduced rate.
If both gains, then you pay each portion at different rates. ST is added to regular income and LT is calculated at reduced rate.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us