The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i39m-a-little-surprised-no-one-smarter-than-me-34816152.aspx

Subject:  Re: October '20 update Date:  4/26/2021  4:02 PM
Author:  ThyPeace Number:  313032 of 313065

I'm a little surprised no one smarter than me has stopped by to make suggestions here, but then again the credit history and credit score discussion was pretty interesting.

In any case, it's great that you don't have to contribute to your defined-contribution plan to get the "match." It's potentially still worth looking at. It definitely depends on your risk tolerance and how much you know about investing. But if there is a fund that is essentially a "mimic the S&P 500" fund with a very low total cost, you likely have a good place to start stashing your funds.

Now, as to the sustainability. You have proven that you can increase your income by working a lot, and you have proven that you can be a really solid grownup about what you do with the funds that come in. Those are really excellent qualities to build on. Now the question is -- how do you make every hour of your time work harder on your behalf?

There are a lot of ways to do it -- usually by increasing the value of your skill set. That might be improving your technical expertise and getting a promotion into more complex technical work, or it might be improving your leadership and management skills and going for a promotion into supervision. If you consider the latter, be cautious because you can make a ton in overtime that won't be matched by the increase in base pay that you can make becoming a supervisor. Still, if you become a supervisor who works 45 or 50 hours a week instead of a line employee who works 60 hours a week, you may free yourself up for freelance work that brings in even more.

You can also consider a variety of other side hustles, all depending on your skill set. Just make sure that you do good, ethical work for good, ethical people.

ThyPeace, probably there's a lot more to be said here.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us