The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Gardening and Landscaping

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/partly-depends-on-where-you-live-obvi-i-have-in-34821644.aspx

Subject:  Re: Killing Various Vines - keeping trees safe Date:  5/4/2021  12:09 AM
Author:  FlyingCircus Number:  32486 of 32580

Partly depends on where you live, obvi. I have, in southern NH, two kinds of vines: the wild "raspberries" (which I insist is about their effect on your skin, not fruit) covered in nasty mid-length thorns, and regular choking woody vines ("grapevines" with no grapes?) that wrap themselves around trunks, branches, anything they can find.

After 20 years of battle, the only effective treatment I've found is pull them out by hand by the roots.

The thorny vines can grow out of the moisture between layers of oak leaves. But once they are gone from an area they have not come back. I cleaned out a nice birch glade in between me and a neighbor and mulched. It took 2 years, but they haven't come back in the 17 years since.

The grapey-vines do keep coming back and spread to weird places. But, you can just cut them with loppers a couple of feet off the ground and then unwind them from the low tree branches or trunks a week or two later, and rip them out of the ground with a twisting tool, shovel, or brute force. Good leg workout, light squats. ;-)

Then there's the poison ivy, which seems to reappear by magic, but that's another story.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us