The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/for-high-salaried-workers-the-benefit-of-working-34835457.aspx

Subject:  Re: Takes less to be wealthy now Date:  5/18/2021  8:30 AM
Author:  inparadise Number:  102812 of 103872

For high salaried workers, the benefit of working longer is limited.

At least in theory for us. We ran the SS calculation to see how much we left on the table by retiring early. In theory, not much, but we don't anticipate taking SS until 70 for DH, FRA for me, so who knows how things will be in reality. Our calculations were verified by a financial planner's computer simulation of all possible SS choices for a married/widowed couple. I don't remember the difference in SS checks, but I will say it was very unimpressive, even retiring at 58 for DH vs 70. He did have many years of earning more than he was taxed on for SS, and with the spousal benefit, that boosted my SS as well, even though for the most part I became a SAHM when our kids were born. I tried taking jobs here and there, but for the very little I got after all the taxes, it was a net loss for us when you took into account all the things I was doing at home that we had to now pay someone to do, like renovations and investing.

IP
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us