The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Nostalgia for Infinity

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/if-you-want-to-own-some-of-these-stocks-just-at-34856144.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Port of Doom... Date:  6/17/2021  1:47 PM
Author:  DoctorDoom Number:  105 of 304

If you want to own some of these stocks just at lower prices, why not sell puts at the price you would buy them at if they dropped that far. Like UPST, if you would by if the price dropped to $90, why not sell put(s) at a $90 strike price?

---

I am not an options trader. Maybe when retired I would set aside a chunk of port that is purely house money, and either I grow it or lose it with options, but right now it isn't for me.

Just my sense of it, but when things are rocketing up and stocks pop seemingly after every ER announcement, then call options seem great.

But then covid hits and every kid with a couple hundred bucks or a few thousand bucks, and a few stimulus checks to boot, decide they are "an investor" and jump into the market and start gambling.

And what happens? Well...market rockets up from March 2020 lows to ATHs. So they are geniuses, and all like options. I realize you said "puts" and not picking on you specifically at all - just that I believe majority of options expire worthless and gains are due more to luck than any kind of thoughtful fundamentals plus TA analysis.

Having said that, I have no doubt many make great returns with options, both calls and puts, and selling covered calls, etc... For me to do something like that correct, I would want to completely immerse myself into the numbers and do a bunch of papertrades to understand the ideal timing and prices to aim for, with exits or goals in mind for each.

I just don't feel like gambling with options. Would rather have the money operating in a trade I am comfortable with, and when you are long/short (although I have never done a short) it is just a simpler equation for me to figure out.

It isn't a bad thought...just not something I can do well at this time, and I always find it is better to do a few things very well vs a bunch of things mediocre.

Doom
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us