The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/this-is-veering-off-topic-now-so-i-won39t-34857014.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tax management for retirees Date:  6/18/2021  6:18 PM
Author:  CountNoCount Number:  103280 of 105394

This is veering off-topic now. So I won't belabor this. But one has to plan fuel stops too. If you're on I10 to L.A. there are long stretches of nuthin'. You need to be sure you can cover the distance to the next gas station.

The only real difference is that there are fewer charging stations than gas stations (for now)

I once drove from Houston to Fort Stockton, both in Texas. Stopped for lunch snack and the fuel gage was high enough I thought to stop for gas later. That part of Texas is described as "mile after mile of mile after mile". I began to get nervous. The sun was setting and there were no towns on our route. The fuel gage looked like we wouldn't get all the way to Ft. Stockton. I slowed down to get better gas mileage (IIRC, the speed limit is 85 along that stretch of I-10.) After while the Countess noticed that I had slowed down and asked why, so I had to tell her. It became quite dark with no stations at all. Finally we saw a lighted sign in the distance, well off the freeway, so we exited and drove a couple of miles to find a little grocery/gas station. Biiiig relief. We got our gas and went on the Ft. Stockton. (No toilets, so I used God's Great Toilet - after all, it was dark. The Countess just clenched a little harder.)

As a sequel to my story, on arriving in Ft. Stockton, all the motels had "No Vacancy" sighs out. We finally took a room in a dump of a place. I invented an excuse and left the Countess while I scoured the area and found a Motel 8. It was much nicer than where we were, so I took a room. Drove back and got the Countess. I was surprised they let us leave and cancelled our credit card charge. Said there was no issue of filling every room. I asked why, and he said the Oil Patch was hot and jobs were plentiful, so men were flocking there to get work.

We actually liked the Motel 8. Would stay there again.

CNC
... good we didn't have an EV.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us