The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/alstro-your-african-trip-sounded-wonderful-i-34862521.aspx

Subject:  Re: retirement? Date:  6/27/2021  6:06 PM
Author:  malaoshi Number:  138447 of 139644

Alstro, your African trip sounded wonderful.

I always regret not getting to the African continent, other than a bit of North Africa...but DH and I have decided the preliminary flight is too long now...

One brother lived in Ghana for several years, my sister lived in Kenya for several years, and my mother who had travelled all over the world (and was the first white woman many Indians or Chinese had seen,) said that of all the beauty she saw in the world, Africa had the most....( and she ended up in New Zealand which is REALLY beautiful in my eyes!)

Retirement. Selling our house helped us move to the Old People's Home, and we are not rich like other people here, but we are secure, I believe.

I was unwilling retire. Loved my job, only 64, but my daughter was having a difficult pregnancy. I still teach English as a Second Language, but as a volunteer.
DH retired a few months ago.(he's 78) He still works pro bono with some of his clients, even though he passed them on to his successor.(They like DH) But he is soooo busy and soooo happy, and he loves not having to get up early!

Now in retirement he has written and published a book of memoirs with lovely photos, he swims every day, he has organized and catalogued his menu collection....1015 menus, and the Archivist at the American Culinary Institute which has already 42,000 menus, is in contact and interested in his collection.He has returned to duplicate bridge, choir, current affairs discussion group, travel plans (we had to cancel a lot) and his beloved world soccer on TV.We have several games going on "Lexulous" and a three-day trip to Napa and the wine country starting tomorrow.Last week he ran a four-day "Bridge Camp" for the three grandsons and feels they have a reasonable grounding in the game. (Mornings Bridge, afternoons swimming pool, relaxing etc)

I want to encourage anyone who is worrying about "being bored" in retirement...we have found it is a time of renewal, new hobbies, new friends, time to learn whatever you want,....(Well, not enough time to do everything we are interested in , but that's our fault!)
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us