The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/retiring-before-eligible-for-medicare-34884452.aspx

Subject:  Retiring before eligible for Medicare Date:  7/23/2021  8:55 AM
Author:  BlueberryFarm Number:  138511 of 139073

Hi all:

So inspired by early retirement stories! But what do all you Early Retirees do for health insurance? I’ve been on employer insurance all my life and feel overwhelmed by sorting out options. I’m interested in ACA options, especially the subsidy if I keep my taxable retirement income low, and also HDHPs so I can continue my HSA contributions/savings. What is your advice? Where do I start? What are your stories?

I posted this to PB Personal Finance board so apologies if you are seeing this again:
Husband and I hope to retire in the next couple years but will be too young still for Medicare. What are your best resources for learning about and managing subsidies for ACA? What are the strategies for keeping withdrawals from accounts low enough to keep the subsidy? One of our plans is to withdraw some of our contributions to our ROTHs to live on because I believe these withdrawals will not be taxed or show up as income. But I am new to all this and am looking for any and all help or resources out there on learning about ACA subsidies and/or other health care strategies? How have you done it? What are your stories? Where do you go for info?

Thank you all!
BF
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us