The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Industry Discussions / Biotechnology

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/right-now-i-think-all-alzheimers-drugs-are-in-34885073.aspx

Subject:  Re: SAVA and INMB Date:  7/23/2021  9:39 PM
Author:  sheila727 Number:  25640 of 25643

Right now I think all Alzheimers drugs are in favor, people just throwing money at the category now that FDA approved one drug, they think BIIB's results are relatively easy one to improve upon.

I don't see how you can talk about aducanumab setting a new standard and easing the way for other anti-Alzheimer's drugs to follow suit. The approval has been reviled by those on the evaluation panel, who (all except 1, I think) strongly called for it to be rejected. The reason? The data indicated that it has little to no benefit--basically no impact--and requires regular costly brain MRI monitoring because of the high risk of brain inflammation. Most of the advisory panel has resigned, there's been a hue and cry everywhere, and a House committee is going to hold hearings. Aducanumab is basically an incredibly expensive piece of false hope with real risk of further brain damage. I would think that this will make everyone a lot more wary about singing the praises of a new Alzheimer's drug.

What's really needed first is a far better understanding of the pathology underlying Alzheimer's. Nothing that has approached it via beta-amyloid has had any success.

=sheila
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us