The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/is-this-normal-exceptionally-normal-in-fact-i-34891764.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401K Rollover Date:  8/3/2021  9:58 AM
Author:  Hawkwin Number:  103844 of 105381

Is this normal?

Exceptionally normal. In fact, I can't recall a situation where a physical check wasn't sent.

Why would it require a physical check?

They might be willing to wire it - for a fee. Since your 401k company makes the rules, they probably don't want to deal with the hassle and the liability of an EFT.

I don't recall physical checks being used when I moved my own 401K 7 years ago, nor in her previous small rollover 20 years ago.

I can assure you that if you did not get a check from a rollover, then you very likely paid a wire fee.

Not sure why they can't simply convert all to cash at the end of a specific day and electronically send it to an authorized account.

Lot's of IRS reporting issues with such transfers and I imagine that there is a significant fraud risk when there is not a clear paper trail. I sometimes have to provide written certification for clients if they fund an account without a clear paper trail as to where the money came from. I doubt your broker would automatically know that the check came from a 401k vs a roth 401k vs simply a taxable account. That sort of coding doesn't really exist within the EFT system.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us