The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/what-you-do-in-retirement-is-pretty-much-34892498.aspx

Subject:  Re: problems with retirement Date:  8/4/2021  1:59 AM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  138550 of 139003

What you do in retirement is pretty much determined by your/spouse's/family's health, wealth, interests/hobbies, energy/drive, intellectual curiosity, desire for physical challenge, enjoyment of DIY vs preference for being waited on. hmm, just like one's pre-retirement life ;-)

Caregiving for a spouse with advanced dementia limits me to staying close to home other than errands and walks, reading, listening to music, watching tv, cooking, chores, talking/texting on the phone--frequently interrupted by making sure the hubster isn't getting into mischief (and if he is, trying to handle it--sometimes easier said than done). Also trying to handle the health & happiness of someone who can barely communicate.

At the moment my sleep is interrupted by his loud snoring. Not typical, so I hope this isn't the new normal. (No, I can't sleep with earplugs because I can't tolerate items in my ears--can't use phone earbuds either.)

Luckily post-retirement and pre-dementia I got to live my travel dreams, including lots of fun planning, plus attending performances, spending time with people I like.

NB More people wish they'd retired earlier than wish they retired later.

Ahhh...the snoring magically reduced to a dull roar. I could sleep if I weren't fully awake =8-0 Luckily I have some books online, plaus I can se what happened in the world since a few hours ago.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us