The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/the-obamacare-riches-keep-coming-34936656.aspx

Subject:  The Obamacare Riches Keep Coming Date:  9/16/2021  11:04 PM
Author:  intercst Number:  104234 of 107492

I got a letter from my former Obamacare health insurer this afternoon and I was ready to toss it out since I figured it was just a plea to switch to Medicare Advantage during the open enrollment period in October. But I opened it up, on the chance that the back of the letter might be blank and I could use it as printer paper. (About the only value I was going to get from the insurance.)

Low and behold, it was a check for $623.67 since my health insurer had failed to spend the minimum 80% of premiums collected on actual medical care rather then overhead and Executive Compensation. The under spending was being refunded to Molina's long suffering customers.

This windfall was all the more surprising since I had limited my investment income to maximize my Obamacare tax credits and had only been paying about $1.50/month for health insurance premiums over the past two years I was a Molina customer. Though the $623 pales in the amount of money the health insurance industry has screwed me out of in the pre-Obamacare years.

intercst
(now checking all my mail.)
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us