The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/at-this-point-in-my-life-i-don39t-have-a-lot-34942430.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Arizona Neighborhoods Date:  9/26/2021  7:41 AM
Author:  richinaz Number:  104384 of 107443

At this point in my life, I don't have a lot of desire to start over in a completely new place. Maryland is just terrible weather wise. I've dreaded it since I was a kid. Too many humid, buggy, stormy days.

Water and AZ is a concern but I'll likely be gone before it is a huge concern IMO.

The communities with higher HOAs concern me. It is an expense you don't really need since there are many places w/o any HOA fee, and it is a fee that you have limited/no control over with in the sense it can increase and the only thing you can do is move. And moving is a costly solution.

In retirement I'd rather limit those type of expenses.

AZ is a state (maybe like Texas) that does have political issues where you have some very extreme people and the current situation is very split. I believe the number of Democrats registers is the same as the number of Republicans so the large independent group swings things. This isn't the place to debate this but just an observation.

If I had family or maybe language skills, I'd look to western Europe and find a quiet place with reliable internet and just mostly live there. The less news and people I encounter as I get older the better.

I didn't think finding a place to retire would be so difficult. I thought the difficult parts were accumulating enough money and living long enough to get there :)
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us