The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/likely-it-is-more-quotcan39t-hire-enough-34967201.aspx

Subject:  Re: follow up on lack of employees Date:  10/30/2021  1:49 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  139020 of 139644

Likely it is more "can't hire enough people for what I'm willing to pay".

Minimum wage hasn't kept pace with inflation, and restaurant workers have a lower wage than that. I think people aren't willing to tolerate that anymore.

The sandwich shop that 1poorkid used to work in actually paid a decent wage, and when you paid there was no space to include a tip. Some customers still insisted on tipping, but the kids did their work without it in part because they were paid a reasonable wage for the work (roughly $15/hr). I encountered a donut shop guy yesterday that made the off-hand comment (I forget the precise context, but it was meant as sarcastic humor) about the joys of working for 4-something per hour. People are less willing to endure that.

I think the minimum wage should be the same for all workers, and that restaurants shouldn't be allowed to rely on tips to make wages. If someone wants to tip, fine. But workers' earnings shouldn't be predicated on that. In fact, tips are racist. They have their origins when black and white servers would work in the same place. The employer couldn't discriminate on the wages, so the "tip" was invented so customers could offer more for the white workers while keeping the black workers underpaid. Of course, they could tip the black servers as well. But they usually didn't.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us