The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ot-my-real-newspaper-34988990.aspx

Subject:  (Ot) My *Real* Newspaper Date:  11/28/2021  1:54 PM
Author:  Bonroy1924 Number:  2368013 of 2381073

Oh Happy Day.

I've always wanted a Wall Street Journal subscription even though I'm not a fast reader. But darnit it's always been $250-$300 per year. So then I saw the "student discount" I got someone who is a college student who was gonna sign up for me - $11 a month. Well ok, that's better but that's one drive-thru gourmet meal per month.

But then there was a deal $4.00 per month for a year - full time digital, *plus* the Saturday issue.

I've always hated Saturdays, especially being retired this year. Ever since I was 16 I've always, always worked Saturdays so I just feel "off" being at home. But the last 2 weeks I look outside and there it is - rolled up, just like the pre-Instagram days. A newspaper. A respectable one too!

It feels like a newspaper, it's got that newspaper smell. Ok so I hold a grudge that they call it "WSJ" now as a sop to the idiocy that is modern day but still it's so cool. I take it in the car, get coffee and donut and read away in the car. For some reason it makes me feel less weird on Saturdays.

So I've got the weekly Economist (real), and one real Wall Street Journal per week.

Still *zero* cable news, or talk radio.

Next year if things get normal I'll get an XM sub in my car for Howard Stern and especially Michael Smerconish but for now, this newspaper thing pleases me. Yeah, I'm easily placated.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us