The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/tuition-is-free-due-to-her-dad-teaching-there-35000776.aspx

Subject:  Re: Venting Date:  12/12/2021  5:10 PM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  8591 of 8593

Tuition is free due to her dad teaching there. It's the time thing that bugs.

We had 3 kids who were 3 years apart in school so we were a firm 4-years* wherever they wanted. That meant 10 years straight with two double years. (and a tiny bit of salt when one went to an out of state school where I had worked for 8 years).

The time thing has another component which my youngest and I have discussed a few times. He is in a profession that he didn't exactly plan for or go into right after college. The couple of years would put him a bit ahead of where he is. The other piece can be the change in the economy in a couple of years. Had my daughter not had an instant job after college, it would have been a tough time to look for one. Now, who knows ? OTOH, all of mine have done whatever jobs were available at different times.

* I did pay for the paramedic certificate program for my youngest at the local community college after he finished his bachelors. He was working full time as an EMT when he was doing the certificate program also full time and our lives were pretty messy. Compared to all the college costs, it was chump change.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us