The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/thoughts-on-16-subpoenas-35029420.aspx

Subject:  Thoughts on 1/6 Subpoenas Date:  1/18/2022  12:25 AM
Author:  ptheland Number:  2372206 of 2381073

From what I'm seeing in the news, it looks like the Jan 6 committee is a bit split over whether to issue subpoenas to 3 of their colleagues who have refused to voluntarily testify to the committee.

Those who would prefer not to issue the subpoenas are concerned that the likely legal fight would delay the issuance of their report. But I don't see why that has to be. If the fight does drag out too long, they can issue their report without the testimony from these men. If they don't issue subpoenas, they WILL issue their report without that testimony. The report will be the same either way.

But I think it's worth issuing the subpoenas to establish precedent and answer the question - can a sitting member of Congress be compelled to testify before a Congressional committee? This is a rare opportunity to get that question answered - either via decisions in the courts or by these men complying with the subpoena.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us