The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/is-it-possible-to-suspend-my-benefits-and-get-35034035.aspx

Subject:  Re: Spousal Social Security benefit Date:  1/23/2022  7:07 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  105989 of 107821

Is it possible to suspend my benefits and get spousal benefits on my husband's record or not? If it is possible, how to do it?

Not any longer. As you found, the loophole that allowed you to claim benefits on DH's record when you are eligible for benefits on your record was closed as of 5/1/16. From towards the end of your first post:

If you do have enough credits to qualify for your own Social Security benefits and you apply for your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, we always pay your own benefits first. So if you apply for any benefits, SSA will look first to the benefits that you earned. Since that's more than 50% of DH's benefit, you will get benefits based on your record.

Until age 70, you can suspend your payments in order to increase your future payments, but you won't get any payments at all while yours are suspended. Since benefits no longer increase after age 70, it doesn't make sense to not claim after you reach age 70.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us