The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Jewish and Foolish

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/148914971514149715001497-35061959.aspx

Subject:  ביתילי Date:  2/27/2022  8:33 AM
Author:  stevenjklein Number:  23044 of 23055

I just discovered a very weird bug in the Google Translate mobile app.

I was listening to a podcast interview with Israeli hip-hop artist Shaanan Streett (founder of the hip hop / funk band Hadag Nahash). The interview was in English, but at roughly the 3 minute, 20 second mark, he uses a word that sounds like "bituLI."

Neither he nor the host knew how to translate the word into English.

I decided to try the Google Translate app on my phone. For the spelling, I guessed bet yod tav vav (cholám malé) lamed yod.

Google translate apparently didn't recognize that spelling as a word, so it suggested the spelling that is the subject of this post: bet yod tav yod lamed yod.

It came up with a long list of words, phrases, and entire sentences, none of which actually contained the word!

If you have the Google Translate app on your phone, type that word in and look at the results!

Note: This behavior is specific to the Translate app on my phone. It doesn't happen using a desktop or mobile browser. I only tested on an iPhone, but maybe it does the same on Android.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us