The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/anybody-else-saving-on-groceries-35073355.aspx

Subject:  anybody else saving on groceries? Date:  3/14/2022  1:32 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  1948 of 1973

Normally I'd take a package of 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs and marinate them in homemade teriyaki sauce, then grill and serve with a veggie stir fry or steamed broccoli or green beans. Enough for 1 dinner for 2 plus 1 lunch for 2.

The other day I took that same pkg of thighs and made chicken & veg curry (over cauli rice--or use real basmati). It provided 2 dinners for 2 plus a lunch for 2. (By Grabthar's Hammer--what a savings ;-)

Last week I fixed ma-po tofu. Spicy tofu and ground pork. My homemade ma-po tofu is better than most restaurant Chinese dishes (IMNSHO!). Over rice or cauli-rice. If over real rice, add a vegetable.

I can't make a habit of pice & beans, pasta & sauce, and the like as carbs don't love me back (cause overweight). But yesterday I dove into our frozen emergency rations and fixed Trader Joe's shrimp gyoza with stir fried sugar snap peas. Delish! And easy-peasy.

I'm thawing 4 boneless pork chops for dinner. I could make a stir fry or bake them until well cooked but still juicy and add a vegetable.

I try to buy meat on sale (well, most things on sale, but is it my imagination or are fewer items going on sale these days?).

How about you?
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us