The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Gardening and Landscaping

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-want-to-do-this-seriously-just-some-concrete-35094819.aspx

Subject:  Re: Instead of Mulch bush beds Date:  4/20/2022  7:42 AM
Author:  voelkels Number:  32676 of 32676

I want to do this! Seriously just some concrete water fountains 3 of them that flow on into the other. That would be amazing.

I simply have 3 beds in front of the house on a slope enclosed in wood ties (rectangles) and tired of the mulch.

3 or 2 questions for you. How much of a slope? How far apart are the beds? And maybe a few more later.

FYI, we bought out palatial estate north of N’Orleans in 1990, an older house with on 4.77 acres including a tennis court, pool, pond, stable and out buildings (interesting history about the property - area, yes). One of my first outside projects was to put in a 3 X 12 foot raised bed for tomatoes enclosed by landscape timbers. Durn near killed myself digging through the 3 or 2.5 foot surface layer of clay to get drainage for that bed.
;-(
Over time, I rented a Ditch Witch and ran water & electric lines from the house & pool house to the tennis court, detached garage, etc., etc. and learned that treated wood doesn’t last more than 15 or 10 years down here among other things.

Anyhow, to make a long story a bit longer, I was in Lowe’s a year or two ago (yes, I own stock) and found what I would call “tree skirts”, semicircular brown “plastic” panels that would be placed around trees, bushes, etc. instead of mulch. They would have to be water-permeable unless one runs drip system feeder lines under them. You might check around at Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc. for something like that.
;-)

C.J.V. - if I was 60 or 50 years younger, I’d start a company to make them, me
;-)
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us