Retirement Depression

I talked in great detail about my retirement planning a few years ago:

https://discussion.fool.com/quotlooking-forward-to-this-34196854…

Figure out what makes you happy and do it.

I talked in great detail about my retirement planning a few years ago:

Figure out what makes you happy and do it.

That works for what y’all do leading up to your retirement too. :wink:

Congratulations!

1 Like

We also go to yard and estate sales on occasion.

You wouldn’t believe how my Estate Sales I’ve gone to acting as driver, body guard and moving ‘hold table’.

Regards,

ImAGolfer

DW was laid off from full-time job.Returned as part-timer with no benefits.
She’s been at the same plant 50 years.She’s now gone 10 years without a penny raise.

She complains a lot about that to her co-workers but won’t go to her boss because the last time years ago she was told they wanted her to go back full time & take on more responsibility.

She doesn’t need to be there financially ,but stays because she likes the people she works with (& has not made any plans to occupy her time after leaving).
As the years go by, more & more of the people she enjoyed working with have quit, retired,or died.

I told her go to her boss & demand a raise.If it’s not immediately forthcoming or requires going full-time, then quit without notice (again, she doesn’t need to work so no worries over asking for a recommendation).

She feels what she does, even though clerical, would require her to stay & train up a replacement avoid fouling up some rather large company contracts.

My response- TOUGH PATOOEY!

3 Likes

She’s now gone 10 years without a penny raise.

They don’t even do that in China. Has the boss gone 10 years without a raise?

…would require her to stay & train up a replacement avoid fouling up some rather large company contracts.

Require?? If they “require” her, then they should pay accordingly. If they don’t, then there’s your answer.

1 Like

If I complain about something long enough and don’t make different choices, nothing changes except I’ve made the choice to accept whatever I’m complaining about.

I would surmise your wife is fine with what she makes because she gets good feelings from “working”. Some folks are worried about being bored and unproductive, unsure what they would do……no reason to get out of bed in the morning, no sense of purpose, you get the idea. So she’s getting what she chooses and it’s human nature to complain. …it draws attention to themselves and their selflessness.

Armchair counselor dog

I am not a victim, I can make healthy choices.

1 Like

I think my husband has thrived in retirement, after a successful career.

We moved to our Old Folks Home but he didn’t retire for the first 7 years here. When he retired last year some of his clients continued, but pro bono, so he has appointments with them. Then he was elected Chair of the Resident Council ( 800 residents here) and apart from another serious volunteer obligation in the “real world” he now enjoys choir ( we are performing a duet for the concert) his bridge games, the PBS News, reading, his word games, his “Great Discussions” group, his daily lap swimming, his time with his daughters and their families, Date Night with me on Wednesdays,(we explore restaurants as we moved to a new area when we came here)… and times when he chooses to lie in for a lazy “get up late” morning…
I have never heard him say he was bored or antsy…

And the thing I love best…he has retained his dry British sense of humor. So every day there is still something for me to laugh about…

Maryanne

13 Likes

Maryanne ~

This is a lovely picture of a successful retirement!

Robyn

And the thing I love best…he has retained his dry British sense of humor. So every day there is still something for me to laugh about…

Maryanne

Brits have a sense of humour? Way I heered it, one shouldn’t tell a Brit a joke on Friday … he might laugh out loud in church.

CNC
:grin::laughing: :sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

Dear Cliff,
British humor ( spelt humour) is so subtle Americans don’t understand it…it isn’t slapstick, obvious, vulgar, or trite.

(That is me being really NASTY…OK? We love you anyway)

2 Likes

British humor ( spelt humour) is so subtle Americans don’t understand it…it isn’t slapstick, obvious, vulgar, or trite.

You know we do get British TV over here. Monty Python’s Flying Circus, Are You Being Served?..Can’t say I remember those shows as being too high brow.

IP

2 Likes

I have been totally retired for six years. Now I am busier than ever. Hobbies are a good thing and fine to learn new things to keep your brain going.

And if it were not for my da*n arthritis pain at age 86 I would be doing a lot more.

Birgit

3 Likes

You know we do get British TV over here. Monty Python’s Flying Circus, Are You Being Served?..Can’t say I remember those shows as being too high brow.

IP

Benny Hill was pretty classy!

8 Likes

"And the thing I love best…he has retained his dry British sense of humor. So every day there is still something for me to laugh about…

Maryanne "

Laughing at your husband every day may be going a tad far.

Howie52
Not everything said by a husband is intended to be laugh-out-loud funny.
At least not intentionally.

2 Likes

It is interesting how tied to work some people are. In some cases I can see it. Such as one guy who ran his own company and was the boss. In other cases where people are working long hours for someone else and limited vacation time, I have a tough time seeing how anyone could miss those jobs.

My previous manager retired earlier this year and I think he misses the people. He had been in the same job for close to 20 years (in charge of up to 200 technical people) and he enjoyed the social interactions and trying to help his employees (he was a good manager and not like the typical ones you encounter). His wife had retired a few years earlier and they haven’t had financial worries in many years.

There is a guy at a government job who is in his 80s. His wife passed away a while ago and I don’t think he has much of a life outside of work although his daughter also works at the same place and is nearing retirement age.

And some people are just lucky to have their job and hobby the one and the same. I’ve been lucky to find a couple of long time doctors that you don’t see much of anymore in terms of a single doctor practice and nearing 70 but in excellent shape and excellent doctors.

As to the prison guard, I have my doubts it was retirement depression. It isn’t unheard of for a guard to fall for a prisoner and do something stupid. And you have too many women who fall for all kinds of serious felons, write them letters in prison and at times marry them. I think it is more of a person who foolishly fell for someone and got carried away with things. She probably was lonely as well. He probably did a good job of using her.

1 Like

Oh Howie…did I say I laugh AT my husband???
(I think you misunderstood me and now I have to have a nice cup of tea to stop crying…)

1 Like

"Oh Howie…did I say I laugh AT my husband???
(I think you misunderstood me and now I have to have a nice cup of tea to stop crying…) "

Some people claim that I misunderstand much better than the average person.
Others claim that I only misunderstand when there is a potential for a laugh.

Howie52
Misunderstanding to have a cup of tea seems a logical extension - although having a gin or bourbon
would be a suitable substitute in some circumstances.

BTW - being laughed at every day has made people quite a good living.

1 Like

IP

Not to forget the ever outrageous Peter Sellers.
How about the “Carry on …” series? (My fave was “Carry on, Nurse”.)

CNC

Funny but I’ve never thought of Monty Python and subtlety in the same ballpark. :wink:

3 Likes

"British humor ( spelt humour) is so subtle Americans don’t understand it…it isn’t slapstick, obvious, vulgar, or trite.

Funny but I’ve never thought of Monty Python and subtlety in the same ballpark. :wink: "

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition - or a cheese shop bereft of cheese - or a pianist in the
buff.
And should you like, people did not expect a Dreaded Batter Pudding Hurler of Bexhill-on-Sea -
or ever really understood the finer meanings of “Ying tong diddle-i po” and “Needle-nardle-nue!”

Howie52
Humor is quite an individual thing. Everyone has the.

Or doesn’t.

1 Like