Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So our guests room is planned to be in use next week with a couple that was supposed to be house sitting some friends of ours house while they are in Italy. He's a Professor on a 1-year contract, and she's going with, and their house was supposed to be empty, so they got housesitters (ironically from Florida.) Except oops, their passports didn't come through in time, so they aren't leaving for another week. Meanwhile the housesitters are already scheduled, and coming down here from another housesit up North somewhere. Oops, no room in our friend's small house, so they'll be in our guest room for a few days until the passport comes through and the house clears.

Anyway, thinking about people who might need room, I went to our RV to see if it could be set up to house a family, and when I went in I found two large-ish patches of BLACK MOLD. Both on the floor, ruined the rug, one along the outer wall by the fridge, about 2 inches wide by a foot long, the other where the slide goes in and out and right behind the drivers seat. So obviously no one can stay in there for a while, maybe forever.

So far I have (in full toxic wear: biomask, goggles, long sleeve shirt and pants, plastic gloves) removed as much of the crud as I can, sprayed it with Clorox spray and/or Lysol spray, and cleaned it as best I can with rug shampooers. But parts of the rug are ruined (I have literally cut them out and discarded), so I am going to have to see if I can "hide" the bad spots with some floor trim, otherwise I think I am looking at a full rug re-install, which I suspect (I priced it a few years ago) will be around $8000. And seeing that it's time to sell the rig, I don't really want to do that.

So I'm working on it, not happily, and don't know what the end result is going to be. I'm a little afraid that even though I have treated the areas I can see, there might be some I can't see. I may have to seek professional help, which I was hoping to avoid. And, FWIW, I still haven't figured out how the water is getting in to the rig to allow the mold to grow in the first place. Cool? Yes. Damp? I guess. Wet? Apparently.

The joy.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.