Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
i just got through reading an e-book version of "A Bubble that broke the world" by Garrett that is available at fraser books.

The essential thesis of this book, originally published in 1932, is that there are fundamental processes that create financial bubbles. First, there must be a multi-year period of rising prices with no let-up. Second, the concept that one may be able to build wealth through investment changes to a belief in outright entitlement (if i hold it long enough i will definitely make money). Third, the most recent period of prosperity is thought to be predominately a result of a new economic paradigm rather than cyclical forces or credit expansion. And finally, credit is adopted as a panacea for debt, that is, debt levels are rationalized by the notion that credit will be available for refinancing and restructuring if and when necessary.

tr
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.