No. of Recommendations: 0
This is a science-fiction book, written by Walter M. Miller. It is one of the (admittedly many) post-apocalyptic books, but it is a lot longer, so you have more time to get to know the characters, and it's divided into three parts, so you get progression of the society over a long time (about fourteen centuries) without having a stupefyingly dull book.

The first part is set six centuries after an atomic war. The world has about as much science as the Middle Ages, with a corresponding religion that is fairly similar to Christianity. It follows the life of a young monk, from the time he is twelve years old to the time he dies. The second part is set another six centuries after the first part. It follows the life of an abbot of the same monastery, from ten years after he becomes abbot, to his death.

The third part is set two centuries after the second part, with a suprising burst of technology, going from the printing press to interstellar spaceships, which makes me think I'm remembering the time interval wrong. It follows the same monastery, but focuses on one particular monk who is offered the chance to be the priest for a colony on Alpha Centauri. It starts about a month or so before he gets the offer, to the time the ship blasts off.

Print the post Back To Top
I read that, it was a great book.

For Science fiction/fantasy readers, I am currently in the midst of a series by Philip Pullman, the series is "His Dark Materials" and the first book is "The Golden Compass." I have read the first two books.

Best thing I have read in a long time.

It is hard to categorize the series. It is fantasy, but there is some physics to it, which is why I put it in the science fiction/fantasy category, rather than pure fantasy. The heroine is a young girl, very well drawn, reminds me of the girl in "The Mill on the Floss," I hope this won't be as heartbreaking.

Overall, the series is based on Milton's "Paradise Lost," which involves the rebellion of an army of angels against heaven (Lucifer lost, which is why he is in hell). In Pullman's series, the good guys are hard to tell from the bad guys (as they were in "Paradise Lost," which was the point of the thing). All you know is that the protagonists are good, but which side they will ultimately take, I don't know after reading the first two books.

If you are looking for the next good read, I recommend Pullman's series.
I read "A Canticle For Liebowitz" quite a few years ago. It took quite a while for me to get started but it has passed the acid test of about twenty, maybe twenty five years of memory. If I can find it I would not hesitate to read it again.

The latest book I am reading is "Nigger" by Randal Kennedy. He is a black english professor, I believe at one of the Ivy League Schools. He reminds me somewhat of S.I. Hywakawa the way he analyzes the various uses and understood plus "misunderstood" meanings. So far it is is interesting.