Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Looking foward to checking out your first pick in your rising star portifolio.
http://www.fool.com/specials/risingstars/rising-stars-bryan-...

Do you look for whole sectors that are depressed and search through all the companies?
How do you narrow your search down?

Foolish Regards
blesto
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
blesto:

I attack from the bottom and the top.

From the Bottom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be using a handful of screens, primarily based on valuation metrics and price (looking for big price drops and shares trading near 52-week or historical lows). These screens are definitely bottoms-up, company-specific. But often they lead to finding entire industries that are out of favor.

For instance, six months ago my screens were peppered with retail names like Aropostale (NYSE: ARO), Gymboree (Nasdaq: GYMB) and Buckle (NYSE: BKE). The retail industry has recovered nicely since, but I wasn't searching for an entire industry.

From the Top
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My top down ideas will generally come from simple analysis of more macro events. The perfect example is investing in deepwater offshore drillers and other tangential investments in the wake of the BP (NYSE: BP) Deepwater Horizon fiasco. If you haven't read my recent article, I touch on that: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2010/11/02/you-need-to...

Any ideas? I'm kicking around a few and should have my first BUY rec out within a few weeks.

Thanks for reading belsto, I look forward to having some fun.

Bryan
TMF42
No. of Recommendations: 1
Oh yeah I read it, and I found it very fascinating. That's how I found your board.
I'm sure you're familiar with the Stock Advisor picks affected by the BP fiasco. I won't mention them here, but they seem like interesting buys right now.

I've been browsing through all the shippers looking for decent ideas. Everything, drybulkers to containers to tankers. Reason being they are affected by the overall world economy, and I just like big ships.
I wonder if any of those types popped up on any of your screens?

A quick disclosure;
I own EGLE and NM

Oh, and while I'm thinking about screens; do you just use the Motley Fool's screens on this website?
No. of Recommendations: 2
I wonder if any of those types popped up on any of your screens?

The definitely did a few months ago, there are fewer now though. That is how I found Bristow Group (NYSE: BRS) (which I mentioned in the article). I also vividly remember seeing Ensco (NYSE: ESV) and Noble (NYSE: NE).

I plan on doing a "watchlist" article next week, so I'll hightlight some results from a screen or two.

I don't use the CAPS screener -- The Fool provides us access to CapitalIQ (a division of Standard & Poor's). It is very robust and allows me to make up my own screenable parameters.

Bryan
TMF42