No. of Recommendations: 5
Had a conversation with someone yesterday about debt. He's in it, working his way out. Hopes to have a particular debt paid off in January, which is also when he will finish paying off his car loan. Then he's planning to save up to have his car carefully checked, because he has only done minimum maintenance in the past few years. And then he wants to save up and have, as he called it, a "slush fund." And he wants to finish his degree, perhaps with the support of the employee education program at his workplace. There were a bunch of other half-formed plans, but nothing focused yet.

I don't know what got him into the debt he's pulling himself back out of. But I did notice how happy he seems at the thought of being finished.

ThyPeace, And as he said, "I have eaten so much cereal..."
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
{{"I have eaten so much cereal..." }}

Well no wonder. That is is his problem, he should have been eating "beans and rice" along with "rice and beans." Not, expensive cereal.

j/k
That was great that you could just listen to him and support him that way.

c
No. of Recommendations: 1
It's nice to hear someone working to improve his life. It's a hard slog, as most of us know, and people often assume they are the only ones with that particular problem.

ThyPeace, glad to be past the debt part, hope never to go back.
His is such a nice story.

Remind your friend that it changes as he goes along. Fiances ebb and flow.
And that his future spouse has to be on the same page.

nag
No. of Recommendations: 2
And that his future spouse has to be on the same page.

I'm not sure he is in the market for a future spouse. I have never asked about details, but his commentary seems to indicate that his view of women aligns with SP's view -- they are focused on stuff that is not in his best interests.

ThyPeace, just smiles and offers counter-examples.
No. of Recommendations: 2
they are focused on stuff that is not in his best interests.
My DS says women are to expensive and have to much drama.
This is odd because my wife and I have a pretty drama free low cost marriage.
My DS says women are to expensive and have to much drama.

Hmm. Makes you wonder where he gets the impression that that's true, if you guys are not an example of it. I picked up some spectacularly wrong-headed ideas from books when I was a kid and had to learn the hard way that life didn't work that way. I hope your son finds out that his general viewpoint has at least one really awesome exception.

ThyPeace, also had to learn to be high maintenance, albeit mostly low drama. Not expensive. High maintenance in terms of time, attention, care, and interaction.