Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
A conversion to Roth is a distribution from your traditional IRA. When you have nondeductible (after-tax) money in a traditional IRA, a portion of each distribution is a tax-free return of that after-tax money, and a portion is a taxable distribution of previously untaxed earnings and deductible contributions. The taxable portion is calculated in Part I of Form 8606.

Thanks, let me see if I understand. Let's suppose that the IRA is 25% after tax contributions and 75% is before tax contributions and gains. I can't specify to convert just the 25% that has already been taxed so any amount converted is comprised of a 25% non-taxable and a 75% part which is taxed. Is that about right?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.