Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I'd like to recommend two books:

#1: We stand divided : the rift between American Jews and Israel (2019) by by Daniel Gordis
Available on Amazon at this link: https://amzn.to/2TatIEv

#2: The war of return : how Western indulgence of the Palestinian dream has obstructed the path to peace (2020) by Einat Wilf and Adi Schwartz
Available on Amazon at this link: https://amzn.to/35kdazs

We stand divided examines the different attitudes Israelis and American Jews have toward Judaism. To summarize: Israelis view the Jews as a national people, while American view Judaism as a religion.

The book explains how this affects the goals and aspirations of American Jews, and why Jewish leftists in America are so out of touch with Israeli leftists. That book mentioned Former MK Einat Wilf, which led me to read her book.

The war of return argues that the reason peace with so-called Palestinians is currently impossible is because they believe in their heart that they will be able to "return" to their homes in what is now Israel. Their entire leadership fosters this believe, and the UNRWA exists primarily to avoid settling those refugees they purport to help.

I approached this second book with much skepticism. Ms. Wilf is a leftist; I'm opposed to most of what she stands for. (I suspect Elann might like her, but I don't want to put words in his mouth.)

But the evidence she and her co-author provide is overwhelming. UNRWA counts as a refugee every descended of the original refugees of 1948, regardless of their actual status. For example, if a refugees from 1948 moved to the US and became a citizen, he's still classified as a refuges. As are his children, grandchildren, etc.

They make a particular interesting point about the Arabs in East Jerusalem. They are entitled to Israel citizenship, and so (as citizens) they could move to any place in Israel. In other words, they already have what they claim to want, and yet UNRWA still considers them refugees, even if their family has lived in the same house since before Israel was reclaimed by Jews.

If we really want pace with the 'Palestinians,' the refugees status of settled people with citizenship in other countries has to end, and care for the refugees should be transferred to the UN HCR, which actually settles refugees, instead of working to perpetuate their refugee status as UNRWA does.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.