Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
www.siliconinvestor.com has the best screen I have ever seen. A long time I was looking at screens with large % moves for different time periods. Anybody who followed those kinds of screens knows you also end up with a lot of junk. This is why I think % price change screens are a large waste of time that could be spent researching price behavior instead of finding stocks to trade.

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/stockscreen/simplescreen.gsp

This link is for the screen I now use. It is how I picked my recent stocks. They update it some time around 8 p.m. eastern time, or earlier. Today's action is now included.

Right now I am using the following criteria;

Technology sector
52 week high
Above 50 DMA
Volume change 100% or more.

The volume % change is crucial, but not included in many screens. If they do give an option on volume it is usually some worthless option like "1 million shares or more," unrelated to historic volume. I found the option in this one.

Try following it for a week or two and you will see a bunch of names that keep showing up day after day. They even give you a chart to click on.
MXC was showing up day after day.

I already made $2 on that stock. I'm not bragging I'm trying to tell you what's possible.

Maybe we can even go over some possibilities here every once in a while.

You can also find stocks to short just by changing criteria.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.