Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
The state is CA; L.A. County to be specific.

I bought a manuf. home and paid cash. The home is located in a very nice, quiet rental community; IOW the home sits on rented land.

At closing I had to pay a $117.00 registration fee to the county on the home. It is my understanding this this is an annual fee. I have no problem with that.

I don't own the land so I don't directly pay a property tax; it it levied to me via my rent payment. I have no problem with that as long as the owner of the property doesn't gouge the renters under the pretext of property tax increases.

We have only lived here 3 months and the complex of 100 homes has had some improvements. The electrical power company has upgraded all homes from 50 amp service to 100. The owner of the complex has resurfaced the streets. Also during the period, 2 or 3 homes have moved out (for whatever reason) and new homes have been put in place and that leads me to my question.

Does anyone know how this kind of rental property is assessed by the county tax assessor? Is it strictly based on the land or the land and what's on it? IOW, is my home (or new homes coming into the community) adding to the value of the rental property?

Best regards,
Duane

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.