Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

A different spin on what some people have already said here is that I think people really just hate being held accountable.  For instance, if there was no welfare, entitlements, etc, what would stop you from personally helping out your neighbor?  Helping them pay for an education?  Rebuilding after a hurricane?  Your parents' medical bills?  I don't think anything is stopping you.

If you don't wish to help these people and can more than cover your own life expenses then others could accurately portray you as greedy or selfish.  If you do choose to help them substantially, others could praise you as generous.  Either way it is YOU who would be responsible for your actions.

Now enter government intervention which takes any and apparently close to all accountability off of specific individuals.  Now to do your share to aid the disadvantaged, all you have to do is vote to spend someone else's money.  Wow, how generous of you!

What I'm getting at is people should "put up or shut up."  If helping people is important to you, you can work hard, make extra money, and donate it.  Don't have a high paying job?  You can volunteer your time to make a difference.  If those things sound too hard, then I guess it doesn't really mean that much to you, does it?  Don't just vote to spend other people's money and act like you're saving the world.  You haven't personally contributed anything.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.