Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
A few additions to the comments

DIESEL engines are reputed to be the longest lasting, cleanest environmentally, and easiest to repair. I have known MANY people to drive 15-20 year old Mercedes and Volvos, and not many other vehicles, so I will agree with the majority on that. We had a Volvo diesel, and it drove like a truck, but it was very comfortable, safe-feeling and dependable, not to mention the seats warm your butt on a cold morning! (We crossed oceans and had to leave the car behind)There's an expression I've heard many times:
"A Volvo will keep you safe in an accident, a Mercedes will help you prevent one."

On a different note, a driver in Atlanta was recently featured for driving his Toyota Corolla 1 million miles (it died very soon after) so there is something to be said for that old Toyota ad about all the people with 200K, 300K miles on their Toyotas.
On the note about Toyota Camry's, mine is a 1992, I bought three years ago with 80K miles on it. I found out after the fact that it had been wrecked pretty bad, thus door keys don't match trunk key. BUT, I just rolled 120K, put about $1000 into a major service and a few repairs (bringing the total spent on this car to about $2500 in three years), and the mechanic told me to expect many more years of trouble-free driving
FINALLY, even if this is a purchase "for life" I am a firm beleiver in buying a slightly used car, i.e. ~2 years old -- if you can find a seller or dealer with warrantee that you trust. Then you can be sure that you are buying a car that isn't a lemon -- even the best car makers put out a few, and the problems take a while to show up.
Good luck!!

Jody
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.