Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
A few more thoughts, after I made the change to my screen. I notice some of the "bid" prices have negative time value for the call.

That doesn't seem like something you should be willing to sell - the buyer can exercise right away.

Example - For GE a few minutes ago, the stock was at 8.60, bids on the Jan 2021 3 call were $5.30.

A rational buyer would exercise immediately for a debit of 8.30, then turn around and sell those called shares for $8.60 for 0.30 instant profit.

If you're the one assigned, you've lost 0.30 per share immediately.

For an option with a big open interest, my understanding is there's a chance your shares won't be the ones assigned. (e.g., GE, with ~60,00 open contracts). But for a big trade, you're playing the assignment lottery. Especially on options with smaller open interest (e.g., Ford, with only 369 open contracts for the June 2021 3 call).

Screening based on worst case (e.g., ask for buys, bid for sells) guarantees you can execute. That's a good starting point.

But should the screen also target the following?
* calls with positive time value (to avoid immediate exercise)
* calls with time value > the next dividend (to increase the chance you keep the position through one dividend)
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.