No. of Recommendations: 2
A few of us ex-Motorola guys hanging out here, go figure.

I spent almost 23 years at the Circle M Ranch, the Motoship, and got paid for well over 24. I got sold to Nokia-Siemens in the great Motorola spin off of 2011 and got a six-month severance after a year. Those were the employment terms N-S had to agree to in the purchase of my division -- all ex-Motorola employees were kept on for a minimum of a year with six-month severance.

So then I went back to what was left, Motorola Solutions, for another 19-month tour. Was fortunate to be of an age and position to be considered 'old' and 'expensive' and snagged the first voluntary plan that came my way, two weeks for every 'year of service.'

It was perfect timing. I was burned out, the better half and I had been talking about getting out of the Chicago area and Illinois for ~8 years, and the company was offering to pay me for almost a year to leave. I took the offer, we moved 'home' to Iowa, I signed on at a small local manufacturing company, and the rest is history.

Well, I did take that first year off. My better half says I f*&cked off for a year, I say I pulled a year of retirement into my late 40s. We're both right ;)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.