Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

A few thoughts.   

I agree with several of the people who have accurately pointed out that there is very little poverty in the U.S., by world standards.   Most of the poor in the U.S. would be middle class or rich in developing countries.  I find it ironic that scoff at that wealth disparity when it comes mostly on the pure dumb luck of having been born in the richest county in the world.   90% of all charitable contributions go to assist the upper 20% of the world's wealthiest people.  Only 10% goes to those who are poor, by the world's standards...    Personally, I prefer a system where people are allowed to assist those who they feel have the greatest need.  I have a passion for helping those in extreme poverty.   I spend time and money on those causes because they are important to me and because I feel that they make a significant difference in the lives of those people.   They stretch every dollar to its maximum and waste very little.   I am also consistently put to shame by the genorosity of the people in those countries as I interact with them.  They give far more of what they make to help others. They have little, but they still give generously.   For the most part, Americans give of their surplus, myself included.

My biggest issue with entitlements such as welfare is when the benefits are so rich that it becomes a job choice.    

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/welfare-pays-better-than-work-study-finds-36000-a-year-in-hawaii/123

I also find government-run institutions to be particularly inefficient, when compared to charities that provide similar services.   

I also think there is an illusion that wealth is easy to create.  

Most of the wealthy people that I know have made sacrifices at some point in their lives in order to set themselves up for wealth later in life.....whether it be paying their own way through school, investing in an advanced degree, saving and investing instead of spending, starting a small business in their "free time" and then working long hours on that business to make it profitable, working extra hours to earn promotions or bonuses.....the list goes on and on.    

They have sacrificed to earn a higher standard of living.   Why does the "average Joe" who has not sacrificed entitled to a greater standard of living without sacrifice or, worse yet, with no effort at all?  

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.