Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
A few ways to help tenderize a steak that I can think of:

Salt. Use a liberal amount and let the steak sit in the fridge for several hours. Excepting the papain enzyme written about above which I have no knowledge of, salt is one of the few things that can penetrate meat (fish, chicken (not through the skin), and others). Salting makes minor changes in the protein structure which has the effect of tenderizing.

Acid - I've always found my marinated flanks are more tender than without the marinade, but that could also be the salt. I suspect acid does have some involvement though have not confirmed scientifically.

The Cut - Take flank steak for example. Making sure to cut it against the grain in small strips will produce a far, far more tender cut than cutting with the grain. When using flank steak in a stir fry, I'll cut with the grain to get it into 2 inch strips and then cut against the grain into 1/4" thick strips x 2" long. This helps tremendously. Freezing the meat for about 30 minutes before you cut it makes the knife work a lot easier.

In short, use a lot of salt and acid and cut the steak correctly!

A.J.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.