Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
A few years ago I ventured to the christian fools board, but most people didn't want to help me understand (I think they thought I was trolling them, so they put me on ignore).
It was more than a few years ago. We got into a discussion about something Jerry Coyne said that not one iota of scientific progress ever came from a creationist scientific work, or something to that effect. I brought up the work John Baumgardener did and gave the link to a website. Yes, his work stemmed from his desire to research whether the flood of the Bible could be verified. Yes, his work verified that the flood could have happened, yes his work was the most useful program developed by his department at Los Alamos and was useful to scientists all over the world.
My recollection is that your final reflection on this was “how sad”, or something to that effect, that Baumgardener had the scientific talent to achieve what he did yet held to yec views.
The website I referred to gave Baumgardener’s testimony. Earlier in his career his life was in a downward spiral. He was partying, drinking to excess, and destroying his life. His life turned around. His testimony tells about it. Without his transformation, it is unlikely that he would accomplish much.
Perhaps you didn’t read his testimony and your way of thinking led you to see this as a competent scientist who fell and accepted yec creationism. Perhaps you read his testimony and yet, though God turned his life around, you disbelieved it and , though he made a significant contribution to science, you discounted it because of a disdain for yec and you maintain a view of sadness on this scientist.
When you said “how sad” I did not think you were trolling and put you on ignore. Sure, I know that I have no chance to change your thinking. No Christian can because your philosophy of science makes that impossible. Christians believe God created the universe, and since your philosophy discounts anyone who has such a belief of the origin of the universe from doing science, you bring this to a conclusion before any Christian can discuss it with you.
Your philosophy of science is closed off to the possibility that the universe was created and the constraints you impose on science presuppose no supernatural cause, therefore drawing a materialistic conclusion. So I am perplexed how, when your philosophy of science draws a conclusion excluding any Christian from making an argument in their favor, that you look on this board for a Christian to help you understand anything, unless you are open to a supernatural cause, which you decidedly aren’t. You can’t even begin to accept a scientist who’s life turned around as in his testimony and made a significant contribution. I came on this board years ago to discuss the topic and got answers. Don’t look to me or any other Christian to change your thinking. I do believe there is one who can give you the answers you need, if you genuinely want them.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.