Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 22
I don't know whether anyone is still watching this board, but I thought it was time to reactivate it.

Ginger1236 is one of the bravest, strongest, most giving people I've met on the boards. She neither gives quarter nor asks for it, and she's not afraid of her own opinion.

She lives just south of Galvaston. She spent this week evacuating or finding temporary homes for: 3 horses (one of them a foal), 1 pig, 1 goat, 3 cats, several puppies, 2 dogs, and 4 children, in addition to 3 Guinea fowl and a number of chickens. She lives on land that went under 7 feet of water during a category 3 storm some years back. She had no choice. Every person or animal for which she had responsibility had to be moved to safety. She doesn't know if she'll have a house to live in after the hurricane passes. But that doesn't matter. The land will still be there, and all the people and animals that made a home will be there.

She's a teacher. She teaches students with special needs. Not just learning disabilities, but kids with such hellish problems involving abuse and foster homes that the day-to-day problems the rest of us face fade into nothingness. And she gives them all she has.

The reason she has puppies is that she stopped to chase a stray dog off the highway, and when the dog licked her face she put her in the car and adopted her on the spot. She's been trying to find homes for a group of pitbull mixes ever since. The horses are rescue horses from a former PMU farm. (Estrogen was made from pregnant mare urine. When it was withdrawn due to long term side-effects, there were a lot of pregnant mares that were about to be killed. Rescue groups have been saving them, hoping to find homes. Ginger took two).

She calls her place the Funny Farm. And she laughs enough to make that an accurate name. Even when a foal dies, or a dog is bitten by a snake, or a dog that was abandoned in the house next door turns out to be vicious and has to be put down, she grieves, and then turns to the future.

Several boards have followed her adventures anxiously. She's been a member since March of 2004. I don't know what we did before she showed up.

Nancy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.