Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
My four year old needs a new dress jacket. So naturally, I decided to knit her one just like the one she just outgrew - she LOVES it, it's an easy pattern but extremely elegant, which suits her princess persona very well. The last one being made out of a fairly cheap acrylic, I decide that at this point she should have something a bit more durable and warmer.

So I go upstairs and pull out all the appropriate yarns I have in stock; there were about fourteen for her to choose from, including many in her favorite pinks and yellows. First I arrange everything in the order that I think she's going to look, putting the blues, blacks and reds at the back and those pinks, yellows, and whites at the front.

I take her up there, set her on the bed amongst the bounty and ask, "Which do you like best, sweetheart?"

"Well, what's it for?" she asks, suspiciously.

"Your new dress jacket."

She squeals, claps her hands, and dives onto the richest, brightest red in the bunch. "THIS ONE!!!"

"A red one? Are you sure? Don't you want..."

"No, this one, this one, this one, this one!" <bounce, bounce, bounce> Then she pulls one of the balls out of the bag, rubs a strand between her fingers, nods wisely and says, "Oooooh, mommy, that feels like a very nice kind of wool...is it all packers?" She means alpaca, and after I pick myself off the floor and control my hysterical laughter, I explain that no, it's 50% wool and 50% acrylic. Not alpaca, but a very nice yarn. We then go through the button jars (another adventure in and of itself, and a favorite rainy-day passtime around here), and she pulls out six of the cutest handpainted buttons in the bunch.

And now I have a boss. Every morning: "So, mommy, is my jacket done YET?!" Every afternoon while her younger sisters are napping: "So, mommy, are you going to knit on my jacket now?" and every night as she heads to bed: "So, mommy, are you going to finish my jacket tonight?" Asked, by the way, in the cutest, perkiest little voice, just like a little cheerleader. Occasionally, she encourages the troops by putting a tiny hand on my forearm while I'm trying to read the newspaper and saying, "Mommy, can you pleeeeeeeeeease finish my jacket sooner so that I can wear it to Grandma's and show her my buttons too?"

I've probably got another twenty hours or so of knitting before that jacket is finished. If you don't hear from me for the next few days, it's because I've been locked in my craft room by my four year old until such time as her jacket is finished right down to the buttons. :)

Onward!
Tamarian
...who is expecting to hear that little voice any moment now...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.