Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have purchased a product called Spinrite since the Beginning. It has helped me out with hard drive problems more than any other program. Their web site is www.grc.com/spinrite.htm.

Their web site currently is addressing Iomega's Click death, as well as a complete breakdown of what is in a ZIP drive and how it works. They are in the process of working on another program that will address removable media problems.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT EVERYONE LOOK AT THIS SITE AND DECIDE FOR THEMSELVES. I have never been disapointed with any of their products or their customer support.

Print the post Back To Top
Hey there,

This is a great link. Very informative. Luckily it's not one of the psychotic I-Hate-Iomega-And-Everything-About-It sites that I can see Kiz maintaining, rather it really has info on it.

Very annoying to know that Iomega doesn't seem to be doing anything for people who've suffered clicky probs, that's singularly poor customer service IMO. However, here's one neat thing the guys who maintains the page says:

<<Before plowing into the details below, I feel that I should state that from a design and engineering standpoint, I really am quite impressed with what I've found as I've started looking beneath the covers of the Zip drive.

I have certainly not forgotten that you and I are here specifically because something has gone very wrong somewhere. And I know that Iomega has not stepped up to the plate with solutions, and that the community of "Click Death" sufferers is righteously pissed.

But problems notwithstanding, I thought you should know that you have not purchased a pile of junk. I have a significant amount of experience with such things (see my resume), so I hope you'll take some comfort in the knowledge that these are really very well engineered products with a tremendous effort and cleverness expended to insure their reliability. Perhaps it wasn't enough, we'll see when we know what's going wrong..... >>

Winston
Oh, btw, in case there's doubt in anyone's mind...

This has absolutely not shaken my confidence in Iomega in any way shape or form.

Assuming that there are 200k CoDees out there... what percentage of the total number of Zips shipped is that?

Do the math. It's not perfect, but it's pretty damned impressive.

Winston
InvestorNoFool wrote:

<<I have purchased a product called Spinrite since the Beginning. It has helped me out with hard drive problems more than any other program. Their web site is www.grc.com/spinrite.htm.
>>

Does it really work? It seems that the creators of this program either don't know too much about Iomega drives, or they haven't tested it out much, because it says that it can fix disks damaged from the click of death problems on Zip and Jaz drives.

Uhh...I've only heard about the click of death on Zip, not Jaz, have I been missing something? I don't think so...I've been reading many news articles about the click of death, and I've never seen anything about it affecting Jaz drives...

Eric

P.S. Winston, news.com reported the figure as less than 1% of total drives, but when you've shipped so many drives, "less than 1%" will still cause a lot of public outrage, which it obviously has.
<<P.S. Winston, news.com reported the figure as less than 1% of total drives, but when you've shipped so many drives, "less than 1%" will still cause a lot of public outrage, which it obviously has.>>

Eric,

I'm not disagreeing that having less than 1% of drives fail caused a lot of public outrage - if it happened to me, Iomega long or not, I'd still be pissed as all heck.

What I was trying to point out is that a *much* less than 1% failure rate is a very, very impressive failure rate indeed. For some reason, I'm associating this figure with the chances of you dying in an airplance crash, but I can't remember the chances of that happening...

Winston
<<Assuming that there are 200k CoDees out there... what percentage of the
total number of Zips shipped is that?>>

Winston,

What are 200k CoDees?
He is referring to 200,000 "click of death" instances.
And, is asking what percentage of the number of zip
drives there are in general...

I don't know where the numbers came from or if they
are valid. But, even if they are...I would say that
200k is a long way from being a pervasive problem...

Hehe...
CoDee is just my little name for Click of Deathees