Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
A late response to some Class B questions..... because we just got back from six weeks/7000 miles on the road:

I have a couple of questions.

1) Is it just two of you? While its just two of us, we would like to take one of the grand kids on an occasional trip.

2) How do you handle getting around once you check into your location, without a toad? Rental car? Disconnect/drive/reconnect? Is there any risk of someone taking your spot it you vacate?

3) Do you always use campgrounds for overnight when driving on route (ie not at a target location) or have you used rest stops or other?
-- Bill

- Just the two of us. The Travato is equipped with more than two seat belts, but the additional seating positions are not safe for travel, despite the presence of the belts. A fine lawsuit waiting for Winnebago if/when someone gets hurt in those additional seating positions. HOWEVER.... Winnebago also builds the Solis, a somewhat lower price motorhome similar to the Travato that DOES have four safe seating positions and additional sleeping accommodations. An excellent alternative.

- It is a two minute job (literally) to hook up or disconnect the electric. We hook up water only when the fresh water tank gets low and only hook up to dump when we need to (same as our Class A). We only bother to hook up cable when we plan to stay for the night. No need for additional vehicles. (Note: The Travato has the KL and GL models which have large battery packs.... and you can avoid hooking up at all for extended periods). We can park in a normal parking space typically. Risk of someone taking your spot? Not a risk at a campground. Haven't even seen it as a problem at a State park.

- I prefer campgrounds in most cases because I think our society is making overnight stops at many other places more risky (Walmart, for example), although I know plenty of folks who boondock on national forest land, BLM land, etc. There are other informal camping spots such as Harvest Hosts. We have stayed at rest stops if there are plenty of others (truckers or RVs) around. But bottom line, a Class B can stay lots of places a larger motorhome cannot..... but I'm extra cautious about site safety/security due to potential issues with two legged critters. Example: We stayed one evening in a Walmart parking lot and I was awakened by hearing a VERY angry exchange between two folks maybe a hundred feet away. I hoped nobody would pull out a gun. Ummm..... that was likely our last ever Walmart stop.

We traveled from NC to Ohio (Hocking Hills) to Michigan (Detroit area, Mackinaw and the U.P. along the Lake Michigan shore). Could have stayed overnight adjacent to the beach at a rest stop, with our awning out and chairs in the sand. Wish I had done so! Then across Minnesota and North Dakota, stopping where we pleased. Down to Teddy Roosevelt NP (amazing number of buffalo (100+) in a "rush hour" next to our vehicle on the road), then the Black Hills area of SD, over to Devils Tower in Wyoming, then a secluded natural bridge area with a stream. Down to Colorado to visit Steamboat Springs and further West to the Grand Junction area to visit relatives. South along the Million Dollar Highway, then east to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and some other Colorado spots. Cut the corner through NM (can't stop due to local quarantining restrictions) to Texas. Took pics at the "Cadillac Ranch" then ate at The Big Texan Steak Ranch. LOL. Spent a while in San Antonio (Riverwalk), Galveston and across Louisiana and stayed in Biloxi.... pulling out as the hurricane moved in. Up to the Smokeys for a couple days, then home to Charlotte.

Park anywhere we wanted, take a nap... prepare food... bathroom facilities. Going places a big RV cannot, with the ease of just driving a van. Similar range to our old Class A with the 70 gallon tank, but with only 26 gallons.

Limitations: Can't take a crowd of people, not 4WD (don't drive in soft sand), fairly low ground clearance (although some install lift kits).

Winnebago seems to continually upgrade the product line. Some folks buy new ones almost every year as a consequence.... we may sell early 2022 to buy a newer one.

Rob
Rule Breaker / Supernova Starshot Home Fool & STMP/MTH Maintenance Coverage Fool
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.