Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Everyone's probably heard that people who live in Southern California generally don't have a clue about how to drive when the roads get wet (which isn't very often). I've witnessed this first-hand many times living in San Diego. People continue to drive at 70 MPH with no more than 1 car length between them and the vehicle in front of them.

Every evening before I head home from work I like to check the Caltrans website to see which of the 2 routes I can take is likely to be least crowded. There's also a link to the CHP incident report website that gives a quick summary of the things that the highway patrol has to deal with every day (it's nice to know whether the slow-down on a freeway is due to a crash or just general congestion).

Today's log happens to have a summary of the accidents reported yesterday (Sunday) and early this morning, which was pretty rainy for these parts:

THERE ARE APPROX 50-75 CRASHES ON AN AVERAGE NON RAINY WEEK DAY

THE FINAL STATS FOR SUNDAYS 24 HR PERIOD BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 1159 PM ARE 329 CRASHES, PLEASE DRIVE SAFE TODAY

BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 11AM THIS MORNING THERE HAVE BEEN 93 CRASHES

And that's just for San Diego. I haven't looked at LA's number. Yikes.

Wot
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.