Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 8

There's a line from Bookgrrl's summary of last year's project that's haunted me for the last 11 months.

I called Cynthia and asked her what she wanted to do with that money; sounding excited, she said, "Oh, we can use it to buy fresh fruit! These kids never get fresh produce." *gulp*

Last year, those kids got some fresh produce. I know that this year's project is West Virginia, and I'm absolutely thrilled to be part of it.

But that line keeps haunting me, and I decided this morning to make it a little side project, either on my own, or with other elves, to send a little back to last year's project, in the hopes that those kids can have another taste of fresh produce.

Anyone want to join me?

Hilary
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was thinking that, too. I hate to think of them struggling so hard with so few resources.

I'm in!

cathy.mn
Hi Dr. Hilary!

Count me in. Can you email me with your snail mail addy?

Do you have the contact person's info? I'm sure Bookgrrl's got it.

You are a dear (((Hilary)))

DP

Me too, if you're co-ordinating, do you have paypal or something similar?

Jess
No. of Recommendations: 2
Anyone want to join me?

Yeah, I've been thinking about the people at that mission/church, too.

Link to last year's post (with mailing address):
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=18264088

Yep, I am paypal enabled. Just reply to this post and I'll send you the appropriate email address.

Hilary
There's a line from Bookgrrl's summary of last year's project that's haunted me for the last 11 months.

I called Cynthia and asked her what she wanted to do with that money; sounding excited, she said, "Oh, we can use it to buy fresh fruit! These kids never get fresh produce." *gulp*

Last year, those kids got some fresh produce. I know that this year's project is West Virginia, and I'm absolutely thrilled to be part of it.

But that line keeps haunting me, and I decided this morning to make it a little side project, either on my own, or with other elves, to send a little back to last year's project, in the hopes that those kids can have another taste of fresh produce.

Anyone want to join me?

Oh Hilary, that comment hit me right between the eyes. I'm cuurently helping out a family locally. And after reading that comment about the fruit, I brought fresh fruit to the family I'm helping and got the same comment about how they had not had fresh fruit in a while!!! I can't believe how much I take that for granted - being able to walk into a grocery store and purchase whatever I want including fresh fruit without considering the cost!! I cried too when I read Bookgrrl's summary.

How would you propose we give fruit to last year's kids? Remember the Elves went to selected houses. It wasn't sent to a school or convenient distribution point. I think your thought is commendable, but for practical purposes the fruit idea might best be incorporated in this year's selected school.

Arleen
OOps looks like I was looking at the wrong post. It was a church last year. OK makes more sense to do the side project with fruit.

count me in. Some body email me an address to mail to.

Arleen

Yep, I am paypal enabled. Just reply to this post and I'll send you the appropriate email address.

Hilary

As you requested. Please email me too. Doesn't paypal charge you a fee for receiving money through them? Wouldn' a check be better.
Hilary,

Send me you snail mail addy!

Uncle Jeffy

Paypal addy please, though it might be a week or so til I have money in the account.

Thanks

Jess
Do you have the contact person's info? I'm sure Bookgrrl's got it.

IIRC, it was like the Paul Hall Center. If that rings a bell, I may still have the letter I received from them last year.

Let me know.

Odee