Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
a long stagnation is as good as a fast plummet, in theory.
The fast plummet lets you load up now, so obviously better for returns, provided you have cash handy.

I need a punching bag.
Haven't been working out enough, and I feel like the most upset/anxious/frustrated trader in the history of guys up 50% less than halfway thru a year.

It is all about FOMO and fake drawdowns.
FOMO because of stuff like UPST, which I actually DID buy in the 80s and 90s, literally last week, and which are at $130 right now. Yet I sold at $96.

FOMO example
Basically, UPST is up over 50% in under a week, and that is just stupid and nonsensical.
It is also, for the most part, an entire 12-month trading goal. Meaning: that is what you are hoping for...a stock to yield you 50% within 12 months...that is awesome. So when it happens in 1 week, and you got out at 15%, you feel the FOMO regret hard.

Fake drawdowns
About 3 times now we have seen the March 5th lows roughly, with the usual growth stock suspects.
Only to watch them go right back up and back down.
These were not meaningful corrections, especially when taken in the context of the OUTSIZED moves they made in 2020.
Much like Bitcoin/ETH/LINK dropping 40% off their highs today. Big whoop. Look at their TTM gains...still ridiculous.

So are these capitulations? No - not at all. Dec 2018 was capitulation. March 2020 was capitulation. The Fall of 2019 was a longer/constant drawdown vs ultra-quick drop, but ultimately it yielded some good bargains heading into Nov/Dec 2019.

I have been reading online about how "market chop" is not for the faint of heart, and I think this is what they meant. Literally been thinking about hanging my kids heavy bag back up and pounding the crap out of it, to get some of this angst out.

Bipolar markets. Not a fan.

Doom
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.